Frequently Asked Questions... and answers
last update : 08/02/2017 - new questions added, détails about maintenance...
Why this website?
This website aims to present our work and journey through the Art of tuning steel. New sections will be added according to our progression.
What is your address ?
The Shellopan workshop is located 15km from Strasbourg (France). As we can only receive visitors by appointment, you will receive our address and a plan after making an appointment.
How to buy a Shellopan ?
See the dedicated section of the contact menu
How to buy a Hang ?
The Hang is a registered trademark owned by PANArt (CH). The Hang is not the generic name of a musical instrument family. It is a sound sculpture which, by its conception, is unique and inimitable. No instrument in the Handpans' family has the same tone of sound (timbre) as the Hang (even though they have the common feature of being made of metal and playable with hands). The company PANArt still produces musical instruments and their latest creation is called Hang Bal (2016). If your wish is to obtain a creation of PANArt, the best way is to contact them directly.
What maintenance for a Shellopan ?
1) wipe it with a microfibre cloth (used only for this purpose) after use. Storing the cloth in the instrument is a very good idea. Wipe it immediately in case of moisture on the surface. Never (NEVER) store it wet in its carrying bag.
2) Store in a closed bag only for transport, add desiccants in the bag. Always transport it with a bag ensuring a physical protection adapted to the conditions of transport. Travel by plane with your Shellopan in hand luggage only.
3) store it in your home safe from shocks (children, animals, falling objects ...). A hook on the wall is often a good solution!
4) apply a maintenance agent compatible with skin contact (1 to 4 times a year, you can increase this frequency if you use your instrument frequently outside or to clean the surface).
When used regularly for cleaning and maintenance, Phoenix Handan Oil is particularly advisable (it is fluid and has been tested / validated for skin contact). We recommend that you avoid regularly using oils that are too thick (froglube and coconut oil). Never put oil inside your instrument, at best it will be useless, at worst it will degrade the sound. Oil-based products change the color of your Shellopan when first used (it becomes darker and / or contrasted, some color reflections may change, pink or purple become brown for example). Aerosol spray products, molecular anti-rust protection films, nanotechnology-based products are strongly discouraged.
Oil-free products use emulsifiers usually used in cosmetics or industry, they do not change the color of your instrument. They are advisable only if they mention their composition and that it complies with the standards associated with the components used.
We indicate with the purchase of a sound sculpture which protection was used initially.
5) In case of rust, coconut oil on a slightly abrasive cloth works wonderfully. In case of more pronounced rust, very fine iron wool can help but at the cost of a risk of color change of the surface.
Retuning services for a Shellopan ?
We can re-tune the instruments at our place or during meetings of the community in which we participate. The first re-tuning is free for all buyers who have purchased a Shellopan directly from us. Shellopan shells are well known in the maker community and we are using a systematical process of tuning, other makers are able to retune our instruments.
What to do in the event of an accident ?
Depending on the magnitude of the accident, we may have to re-tuning or work more complicated or in some cases it is better to replace the instrument. We can not advise anything without seeing the instrument.
Can I make my future musical instrument at your place ?
See the fablab section.
Are you sell shells and tools to anyone who wants to start a HandPan project ?
No, we choose to whom we sell our material. The fablab section presents our approach on this subject.